Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Sting Rays can't Bite--Right!



After looking at this picture of the Sting Ray migration, Karen said, "so cool. I think these are the coolest things - but one bit me a couple of years ago in Houston. Got sick and had to have a shot not fun. But they are so amazing."

I said, "You got bitten? How many people do I know that have been bitten by a Sting ray? Let's see, well............... ONe. Karen. She has been bitten by one."

Karen, "Yeah - it was pretty funny cause my grandson was afraid they would bit him so he wasn't feeding them like all the rest of the kids and being the wonderful grandma that I am grabbed him, pulled him over to the tank, set him on my knee and then put my hand down in the water with some food. The biggest one came up out of the water half way up my arm and was sucking on my arm all the way down - grossest feeling ever - and then it got to my knuckles and it took a chunk out. Blood everywhere - grandson freaked and took off running - took a year for his eyes to go back into the sockets. I was half laughing, half crying. Hurt like a bugger. The lady said - no big deal, just wash it out. I was throwing up all that night and the next day - which I was flying home. Yeah picture that in the bathroom of an airplane. Not a pleasant experience. Got sick while finding my car at the airport - got sick on the way home and then got home to a note taped on the bathroom mirror - "Mom - sewer is not working so we have no water - don't use the toilet - I peed outside - good luck with that" I wanted to die. Next day I called the poison control and they said Stingrays don't bite. I said well I have a chunk out of my hand where one didn't bite me. Told me to get into the doc and get a tetanus shot. So yeah - they do bite."

I said, "Do you have any notable scares to show off?"

Her reply, "real funny - you can hardly see it through the wrinkles."

2 comments:

Tiffanie said...

I saw these pictures too. Pretty cool. However, having a story to go along with it is even better!

Wight Family said...

Wow, I haven't ever been really comfortable feeding sting rays, and now I really won't! if they don't think you've got food, they probably won't bite, right?

They sure are beautiful and graceful though. Did she hit you after you asked her about scarring? ;)