Monday, April 13, 2009

birD Whisperer, when I was younG

As a young boy of 7 or 8, I started one of my many careers. I became a bird whisperer. I taught our parakeet how to talk. I stood by his cage and "tamed" him down-I guess it was a him. The bird was named Pretty Boy and would sit on your shoulder all day and say stuff like, "pretty boy" or "Hello" or "Young lad, could you fetch me a cracker?" OK, that last one didn't really happen but I was working on something like it. I got my first job as a bird whisperer working with our neighbors bird. It was actually Keith Hill's grandmother Bee Hill who lived next door in Ogden. Her bird was a real bitch. It bit the hel.. out of my hand when I tried to teach it to sit on my finger. I stood by the cage for 2 days, saying, "Hello, hello." Kinda like talking into an old microphone looking for someone in outer space. I finally said to Mrs. Hill, "Either your bird is deaf or a real dumb as... but he can't be taught. I'd do everybody a favor and open the cage and let him go." She didn't seem please with my assessment but as a bird whisperer one can't be too honest.
Anyway I became a mouse autopsy doctor until my best friend Johnny Thorsensen said, "This mouse won't be going to heaven now." I thought it was kinda like taking a picture of an african native. The camera steals their soul and as we all know, "no soul, no heaven." That career lasted about a day. By this time I was 3 days older than 7 or 8.

6 comments:

Ferguson Family said...

That's too bad that didn't pan out for you Dave, the world is in need of good bird whisperers, and I hear they have great retirement benefits.

Carver said...

Can you train Brown Dog to say "hi" or "I think that we should go back to the gold standard"? that would be cool.

Wight Family said...

Bird whispering huh? That ought to be pretty promising career, Davie. Too bad it didn't pan out. I did like the mouse autopsy job too. You should have continued on there and asked the mice if they needed autopsy's before you quit... I bet they are in dire straights when it comes to a good autopsy.

BTW: I'm a baby raccoon whisperer.

Butch Tiger said...

Baby Racoon whisperer. We need to hear more about that. Can you post on your bog about your experiences as a Baby racoon whisperer? Thanks.

Butch Tiger said...

Don't post it on your bog but post it on your blog as that would be easier to read for everybody.

Wight Family said...

You can read my post about being a Baby Raccoon Whisperer here. http://wight-family.blogspot.com/2008/07/i-am-raccoon-baby-whisperer.html

It was fun to just now look back at 2008. Pretty cool stuff we did. Now I need to play with McKenna